Configuring The General Ledger Within Dynamics AX 2012 Available For Download
Our 4th of July project was to finish off the 3rd book in the Barebones Configuration Guide series and this morning we finished it, published it to Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500427047/) , and also made it available for download as a PDF for the Premium Subscribers on the Dynamics AX Companions (www.dynamicsaxcompanions.com) website.
So now you can work through book #1 and configure a sandbox version of Dynamics AX through Azure and Lifecycle Services, then book #2 and configure a new blank organization, and now book #3 and have a fully functioning General Ledger to test on.
If you follow the following link then it will take you to the overview page with all the links and content: http://dynamicsaxcompanions.com/Bare-Bones-Configuration-Guides/Configuring-The-General-Ledger-Within-Dynamics-AX-2012
Here is an overview of all the content that is now available.
The General Ledger is the backbone of Dynamics AX and is usually the first functional module that anyone will want to set up within the system since all of the other modules relay heavily on it throughout the setup process. In this guide we will step you through the basics of setting up your initial General Ledger, and also through the additional configuration that you can do for configuring Journals, Allocations, Business Units and much more so that you have a solid foundation for all of the other modules.
CONFIGURING THE GENERAL LEDGER CONTROLS
Before we can start posting to the General Ledger, there is a little bit of housekeeping that we need to do in order to set up all of the codes and controls. We need to configure our accounts that we will want to use within the ledger, set up our chart of accounts and also configure some of the defaults for posting to the ledger.
In this chapter we will step you through the initial configuration of the General Ledger so that you can then start using it.
- Configuring Additional Main Account Categories
- Importing Main Account Categories Through The Excel Add-In
- Configuring a New Chart of Accounts
- Adding Main Accounts To The Chart Of Accounts
- Importing Your Main Accounts Through The Data Import Export Framework
- Configuring Account Structures
- Creating a New Fiscal Calendar
- Configuring a Company Ledger
- Configuring Automatic Transaction Accounts
All postings that are made within the General Ledger through Journals. So once you have configured your Ledger then the next step is to configure the Journals and start posting to the ledger.
- Configuring Daily Journal Codes
- Posting Daily Journals To The Ledger
- Posting Single Line Journals
- Saving Journals As Templates
- Creating Journals Using Templates
- Creating Account Aliases
- Configuring Ledger Reason Codes
- Viewing Journal Postings
There are a lot of journals that you perform on a regular basis for allocating out expenses of common distributions, and rather than having to recreate the Journal Voucher lines each time you can create Periodic Journals that have all of the information about the Journal Voucher and the frequency and then have Dynamics AX do the work from then on.
- Creating A Periodic Journal Type
- Creating Periodic Journals
- Using Periodic Journals
CONFIGURING ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURES
The Organizational modelling that is built into Dynamics AX is a great feature because it gives you the ability to configure your Organizational Structures such as Departments, Cost Centers, Business Unites etc. and then lay them out within business structures. These can also be date controlled so when you reorganize your business your can see the before and after structures at any time. Also these are the foundation for allowing you to assign organizational components to your Chart Of Accounts as financial dimensions.
- Configuring Organizational Numbering Sequence
- Configuring Business Units
- Configuring Cost Centers
- Configuring Departments
- Configuring Organizational Hierarchies
CONFIGURING FINANCIAL DIMENSIONS
One of the strengths of Dynamics AX is the Dimensional Account Structure that allows you to have multiple account elements within your ledger, tie it back to key data within the system and also have rules for the usage of the financial dimensions.
In this chapter we will show how you can extend out your Chart Of Accounts to include Financial Dimensions.
- Defining Financial Dimensions
- Configuring Account Structures With Dimensions
- Using The Account Dimensions
- Configuring Account Structure Rules
- Posting Journals Using The Restricted Accounts
Allocations are a great way to automate the distribution of your postings over a range of accounts based of a single journal entry and can be configured to spread your allocations a number of different ways.
In this chapter we will show you how to configure Allocation rules and then use them within the system.
- Creating An Allocation Journal Type
- Configuring An Allocation Rule
- Processing Allocations
- Viewing Allocation Journals
- Configuring Weighted Allocations
If you have to redistribute posting values within a Journal to different periods to manage accruals, then you can do it all by hand, or you can just set up Accrual Schemes and have Dynamics AX do all of the hard work for you.
In this chapter we will show how to configure and use Accrual Schemes.
CONFIGURING CURRENCY MANAGEMENT
If you are accepting transactions in multiple currencies then you may want to take the time to configure the Currency Management features. These will allow you to track transactions within multiple currencies, convert to base currencies, and also even import the currency conversion rates from the internet automatically.
In this chapter we will show how to configure the Currency Management features.
- Setting Currency Exchange Rates
- Posting Journals In Other Currencies
- Configuring Automatic Currency Exchange Rate Providers
- Creating New Exchange Rate Types
- Importing Currency Rates From The Exchange Rate Providers
Configuring Exchange Rates To Automatically Update Daily